What Dave is Reading

Monday, February 28, 2005

"You Got Daved" is Filmed in Front of a Live Studio Audience

Dave attends a class twice a week that is forging a new future into the high-tech arena, well, when it works that is probably a true statement. National Sovereignty and Human Rights takes place in Furst 201 and 245 Lexington (in a certain undisclosed room) simultaneously. One day a week the prof lectures from Midtown and one day from Uptown. All the while both men and women are on camera and multiple screens trying not to snicker, snooze or scratch too much. The average class has turned into a gameshow, each group trying to answer first, trying to impress the prof and seem the smarter sex. This author is quite sure that things will settle down with time, students, Beren and Wilf alike, will learn to listen to each other, will not giggle or make quite remarks unheard across town.

However "You Got Daved" is not a place for social commentary, well, perhaps it is, but the comic effort must come first. Aha! The story finally approaches:

Not two weeks ago the political science students sat quietly listening intently to the prof who was lecturing from Beren campus that day. The sitting was getting uncomfortable.

Allow this author a moment to explain the room. Perhaps half a million dollars had been invested in the technology to allow for this class to happen, but not a penny had been spent on the room's furnishings. Students sat in the same metal folding chairs that the Rav's students had sat in two scores previously (forty years).

Not unlike every other class we had sat through, people had begun to mill around outside the door looking in on this new classroom "ooohing" and "aaahing".

"Dave, can you please shut the door?" the prof asked.

Dave, or course, immediately got up, walked over to the door and closed it, turned around and walked back to his chair.

CRASH

Dave's chair broke into two distinct pieces as he sat down on it. Dave lay flat on his tush for almost a minute while the rest of the room erupted in the kind of laughter which always evokes tears. While Dave's tush hurt from impact, it was his side that was throbbing from the laughter that ensued. Class re-established order within a few minutes, but the chair was never the same again. Such a break has actually never happened before to Dave in college. Obviously, the time had to be right; in this situation Dave had been recorded in front of a live studio audience.

A week later, at a lecture in midtown for the class, the prof approached Dave and asked that Dave test the chair he was planning on sitting on for the night.

"This is a nice room and we have some very important people here tonight, please be careful not to break anything."


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funnier than when Shalom told me

Anonymous said...

You may want to consider comedy as a career - you're so funny!

My stories never consist of chairs breaking on me...rather of chairs not being attached to the floor of the bus and thus, Rebecca et al. (usually my friend) go flying out of their seat, only to be told by the guy sitting behind them that the exact same thing happened that morning. Now I have (hopefully) learnt my lesson from falling out of my seat one two many times and check before I sit down whether the seat is indeed safe or not - although, there is no garuntee. :D - gotta luv public transit! haha. (That story was much funnier when it actually happened - not only was I laughing, not only was my friend laughing, but everyone else on the bus - haha).

Anonymous said...

dave....you have outdone yourslef. i am sitting at work trying not to laugh so my bosses dont know that i am not doing a damn thing. a couple got away form me but thank G-d nobody noticed. PHEW!!
-Shimon (your ex-neighbor on the second floor- when the room was cool)

Josh said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Ah Dave. Beautiful "Got Daved" story, well told. All elements were perfect. Just as I was getting all excited about coeducation hitting YU's campuses, I have you to rescue me. Obviously, we're just not ready for that yet. Josh Goldman

Unknown said...

So many blogs and only 10 numbers to rate them. I'll have to give you a 10 because you have done a good job. Great Job,

Free Access To More Information Aboutoldies

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, in some moments I can reveal that I agree with you, but you may be making allowance for other options.
to the article there is quiet a question as you did in the fall efflux of this demand www.google.com/ie?as_q=somewhere in time monologue ?
I noticed the phrase you have not used. Or you use the pitch-dark methods of development of the resource. I possess a week and do necheg

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

hi there bros. I'm honestly into shoes and I was searching as far as something that meticulous make. The prices for the sneakers were all over 320 dollars on every page. But definitively I set this area selling them as a remedy for half price. I exceptionally love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase those. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

Hey! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could
get a captcha plugin for my comment form?
I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having trouble finding
one? Thanks a lot!

Here is my page how can i lose weight

Anonymous said...

Touche. Outstanding arguments. Keep up the good work.

Take a look at my page :: weight loss level